Monday, November 10, 2008

Abdur Rahman Chughtai






















Chughtai, called “the watercolour man”, was born 1894 in Lahore, Pakistan and educated at the famous Mayo School of Art, studied under Abanindranath Tagore and Printmaking in London.

After the partition of the subcontinent in 1947, he came to be known as the national artist of Pakistan. Abdur Rehman Chughtai sought inspiration from the Mughal Miniature and the "Naqsh" or patterns of the Islamic decorative arts.

“ these humble creations are redolent of those old days when we were making efforts to live and dream with the brethren of this land...this background of my art should not be lost sight of."

“Some people may call my work old-fashioned but I am not.”

More






1 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger John Salmon said...

Nice blog, very informative. I see I have a lot of reading to do. Thank You.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home